The Jewel of Kenya - MMW

Howowa!!

Sorry, weird mood... :)

New challenge over at Mixed Media World and this time it is:


**ANYTHING GOES ON WOOD**


Quick background on the piece. I went to Kenya 10 years a go, and it was stunning, but I got a ton of souvenirs. I bought them from this 'consortium', it was a place where people could work and create but get paid a fair wage for their carvings, and they were charged at a fair rate too. So feeling happy about all these beautiful items, I bought... in bulk! Good cause, after all. However, over the last 10 years, they've been getting damaged or lost and my giraffe almost ended up the same way, until I felt inspired by something I saw when Finnabar altered a wooden horse. So, my giraffe has a new life :)


I have two, an adult and a baby. The adult has become a mama :) the baby will be a boy, and but he will be a work in progress project. 


I used pink and red Silk Acrylics to get the beautiful shimmer. A base of Art Basics Black Gesso went down first.


The chain with the flower drops came from my stash of 'odd' bits. I think it may have been a keyring...



Some resin roses and Ingvild Bolme screw heads. I used a couple of contrasting Silks to hit just the tips of the roses. This to me just added that extra vibrancy, and just felt like Kenya. Their culture is just beautifully bright.


Finished up with Finnabar's glitter glass in Gold Rush, I love the texture that this gives.

If you're wondering about the title, the most wondrous thing about this country is the beautiful animals, more of a jewel than any diamond Africa has to offer.

Hope you enjoyed today's post and really hope you can find the time to come and play along at Mixed Media World.


Super hugs,
Gee xx

I'd like to enter this in:



17 comments

  1. Looks stunning Georgie, lovely to give her a new lease of life
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous piece! Your creativity is mind blowing! I always look forward to your new posts :)
    Hugs
    Samra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are so incredibly talented! Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning! I have seen the Finn horse you talked about and yours is every bit as gorgeous. I love the beautiful colour and those embellishments just enhance the already beautiful horse. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this upcycling! Definitely added to what was a lovely piece already. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab make Georgie and I just adore the fact you've upcycled it into a new life as a showstopper!
    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This really is special! What a brilliant sheen you made! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely stunning! I do hope it is sitting somewhere in your mantle because it is utterly stunning! I admire the craftsmenship but Gee's personal is undeniable! Love it!!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So awesome sauce that you were able to venture to Kenya and learn more about their culture, and what a good cause to spend some money! This giraffe is gorgeous and has such a special Georgie touch. Love the colors and the base of black makes everything look so smooth. Wowzers! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely idea....Really clever and talented artist, maybe we'll see baby boy in due course? x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The carving itself is lovely, but you have added such beauty. The jewel tones you used are just gorgeous! Who knew there was jewelry for giraffes?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, so elegant! Very gorgeous creation Georgie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your out of the box approach to our latest MMW challenge Georgie. Fantastic makeover, glorious colours and a fun piece. Looking forward to the baby boy.

    Mo:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing creation, Georgie! So different and creative.
    Mar xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. How innovative! Lovely sheen, and beautifully embellished! I have a bunch of these my niece brought back from a missions trip, and you have me raising one eyebrow, and have started the wheels turning! How wonderful you got to visit Kenya! Would love to see the slide show some day! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic piece, Georgie! You are such a versatile and amazingly talented artist! I am always so inspired by your artwork! Hugs to you, my friend! Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. He's simply wonderful, Georgie... I came the other day and gazed at him for a long time, but seem not to have left a comment (I may have been on my iPad and I've learned that half the time comments seem to go missing so it's not worth it from there!)... Brilliant altered artwork.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete