Under Sea Mixed Media Card


My cousin and his lovely wife had their baby a few days a go. They both love the sea so I thought I'd do a sea theme card for their  new baby Cadan to welcome him to the world. 



I started with a small piece of scrap mount board, then I randomly placed dry wall tape. 

Homemade texture paste was used next to help adhere and set a 'broken' frame and a few of the big shells so they disappear into the background. After that came one of my favourite mediums, Garcia Glass Beads. I love these for sea themes! :)

(Excuse the compass, decided the piece looked better without it)


Then I applied the rest of the sea bits and began to spray paint using Prima Colour Bloom Sprays in Colbolt, Tangerine, Lime Wedge, Soft Teal and Glistening Waves.

Here's the result of that:



Very shimmery and a big mess of colours, but it did look stunning in certain lights. 

Next came the knocking back bit. Without a shadow of a doubt PaperArtsy Chalk Paints in Nougat and Snowflake are my favourite for this technique, cannot fault them. I did go back again and add some more intensity of colour and knock back gain. You just keep going until it looks right :)

Then to add some sparkle to the top layer, more glass beads and some Rock Candy Distress Stickles. Shame you can't really see it in the pictures though.

Here's a close up of the end result:





Voila - done :) xx

3 comments

  1. Another beauty, love the chalky, stone effect you create, some yummy texture going on here! ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A stunning welcome to the world for Cadan! Love the way you applied those layers- the bright colours shining through the pale top coat is beautiful! The seaside textures are amazing-a definite keepsake I would say! Chrisx. P.S. Congrats on your wins at Country View - very well deserved! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it is a well done from me too on your win - not really surprised though! This piece is absolutely gorgeous, I love all the wonderful texture you have created and the seaside theme is beautifully executed. I like the idea of the broken frame and the seahorse is so lovely. A truly stunning piece. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete